Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law

my son bascially was charged with theft,burgulary because he

Customer Question

my son bascially was charged with theft,burgulary because he workd for someone who wanted him to falsify documents and he refused so the boss charged him with stealing thousandsof dollars.his probation was violated and now he was sent to state prison for 30yrs.he is 27,His attorney told him to plead guilty so he could get out in 18months and now his 18months is up in two months,but because the attorney misrepresented him he can't get out and my son signed papers of which he couldnt understand because he didn't know what he was signing he just signed them because the attorney told him don't worry its all taken care of and now the attorney won't even answer the phone calls or my sons letters. Where do I go with this and how do I get another attorney to appeal all this. Thank you
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 4 years ago.

The time has long passed for him to appeal his case. However, since there may be constitutional issues with his case (ineffective assistance of counsel and a plea that may not have been made knowingly and with a full understanding of what was going on), there may be other post conviction remedies available to him, such as filing a petition for a writ of habeas corpus (it essentially argues that he is being wrongfully detained because his constitutional rights were violated). We cannot refer you to a specific attorney here but you can use a directory like, which allows you to search by zip code and type of specialty (here, it would be "post conviction remedies" or "habeas corpus").