Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

how long will a simple assault domestic class b misdemeanor

how long will a simple assault domestic class b misdemeanor section 19-03-01 M.M.O. stay on my record
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

Unless this is a juvenile record, in which case your state seals it automatically the close of the transaction, a conviction will remain on your record for the rest of your life, unless you take some proactive step to expunge it if your state allows for it. It does not matter how serious the offense or how low-level. It can't go away.

Unfortunately, North Dakota doesn't offer many expungement options. You can see the law of your state here. and you would not appear to be eligible. Nor would you be eligible in your state to get your misdemeanor sealed. That seems to be available just for certain drug convictions. [N.D. Cent. Code § 19-03.1-23] About the only thing that you can do to minimize the effect of this conviction would be to apply to the governor of your state for a pardon. That would not remove it from the record, but it would show as being pardoned, which would mean that the state's highest-ranking government official believes that you have turned your life around.

You can find out more about a pardon and how to apply for one here. No lawyer is necessary.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am really worried about this charge to to getting a good quality job. would most employers look down on a person for this record.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Frankly, while any criminal record could be an impediment to getting a good job, probably the worst type of offense to have would be a theft offense. Employers are really not eager to hire someone who may steal from him. Beyond that, the longer you go on without gettiing into any further kind of trouble, the less a conviction will matter.

Additionally there are states (not yours yet, unfortunately, that have what's known as a seven year rule. That is, an employer is only able to look at the last 7 years of someone's record. These are the states that have them -- CA, CO, KS, MD, MA, MT, NV, NH, NM, NY, TX, WA -- but as time goes on it seems more are heading in that general direction.
Experience: Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.