Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.

no breath/chemical test, hgn was dismissed at dmv hearing,

no breath/chemical test, hgn was dismissed at dmv hearing, what are the chances of the dui being dismissed in court
Very, very low. DWIs are rarely dismissed outright. They can occasionally get changed to another charge but even that is becoming rare. The main reason is that DWIs are so politically charged now. The group MADD has tremendous political power and can bring it to bear on any prosecutor who dismissed charges.

The biggest issue in a DWI case is the video. If you have a good video, then you have a chance of getting a good deal or getting the case changed to something else. If your video is bad then the chances of getting anything other than a DWI are unlikely.

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There was no video. how about a reckless with diversion?

Your chances are much much better at getting that. With no video and no breath test and with the right lawyer you stand a pretty good chance.

Why was the HGN test thrown out?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

During the DMV hearing, my attorney examined the cop and demonstrated that the HGN was not performed correctly by the cop..

Assuming that there is a record of that and the police officer doesn't lie now then your chances are good of getting a reduced offer. Even if the HGN is done correctly it is only accurate about 75% of the time which means it is wrong 25%.

You have a much better chance at getting a good resolution than 90-95% of the people who get charged with DWI, just don't get hung up on getting a dismissal.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask but please do so my clicking on the Reply to Expert tab.

We work for Positive Ratings, please click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces, as this would be appreciated. We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system to ask for more information or in an attempt to tell the website that you didn’t like the substance of the answer as it gives a NEGATIVE rating to me personally if your rating is one of the lower two.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.