How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Criminal Lawyer Your Own Question
Criminal Lawyer
Criminal Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 450
Experience:  New York Attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Criminal Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had recently got 3 citation. One for underage drinking, the

This answer was rated:

I had recently got 3 citation. One for underage drinking, the second for open intoxication, and the third for paraphenallia. This is my first time getting introuble with the law and was wondering how long will this stay on my record, if there is any way of reducing how long it stay on my record or the cost of the citations by doing community service, parrol, or taking a class of any sort. Along with the question of is it better to just pay the tickets off or go to court. In general, I just want to know what I should do in this sort of situation...
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

I would likely retain an attorney who can make a deal with the prosecutor that cuts the charges in exchange for pleading guilty. He can also work out sentencing and attempt to just get you community service or a reduced fine. Last, he could arrange to have your records sealed and/or expunged. I suspect you could find an attorney who could handle this for $1000 or less. If you do not have much income (for example, if you're a student), then you may qualify for a public defender.

Does that answer your question? Let me know if you need clarification, and please remember to rate me positively so that I receive credit for my efforts.

Thank you and good luck!
Hi again.

I noticed that you rated me poorly. I'd like to give you a reason to rate me higher. Do you need clarification, or did I not fully answer your question? I'll be glad to provide further help if necessary, and I'd greatly appreciate you reconsidering your rating of me.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I would like more detailed advice, especially if I am going to be dealing with a public defender because sometimes they are not the best. How would I try to persaude the judge to lower my sentence or give me community service/parol? And after the court date, how many days do I have to pay my tickets by?

Hi again.

You don't persuade the judge ... you work with the prosecutor and work out a deal with him. Your attorney should do that, however, not you personally. If you have no attorney, then the prosecutor may talk to you about it. But if you have an attorney, the prosecutor won't talk with you, he'll only talk with your attorney. If you decide not to get an attorney, then you contact the prosecutor's office or speak to him when you're scheduled to appear at court. As a general rule, you have 30 days to pay a fine, but if you request more time, then the judge can give you more time on a case by case basis. You would ask for additional time at court when the judge sentences you.

Does that help?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, that does help a little more. When I go to court, will i be given a public defender there on the site or how does that work? And what are the chances of getting a better settlement?

Hi again.

I won't be able to get back to this question anytime soon, so I will opt out and allow another attorney to assist you.

You have a choice to plead guilty or not-guilty or if you plead guilty you should be looking for some kind of deal with the prosecutor, such as a deferred judgment.

You have nothing to lose by pleading not-guilty.

You are not necessarily guaranteed a public-defender.

This will become clear on your first appearance.

Please rate my answer either GOOD or EXCELLENT NOW as I operate on the honor system and receive no wages or salary

Criminal Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 450
Experience: New York Attorney
Criminal Lawyer and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

why am I not guranteed a public defender?

And so on my first court appearance, I just walk into court with no sort of defender to help me cut a deal then?

This will depend on the seriousness of the crime charged and your current financial position. These will both be assessed by the court before you would be granted a PD

The first appearance, the charge will be read. You can ask the judge for a public defender and the judge will explain your eligibility.

Thank You

Dear Customer,

I was pleased to receive and answer your question.

I see you have no rated the service GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE to pay for my answer.

Do you have any FURTHER QUESTIONS regarding my answer ?

I will be happy to follow up on any additional questions.

This is a HONOR SYSTEM in which the customer rates an answer GOOD or EXCELLENT and leaves a BONUS/TIP in good faith for a service received.

Thank You