Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

What is a white warrant?

A white warrant is not something where you just pay a fine and it goes away. He has to surrender to the court as this is a probation violation warrant. Then he has to satisfy the court the reason he missed court was good cause and get the court to recall the warrant. The court may fine him or they can jail him for the probation violation, but that is up to the court and it is not automatic that only a fine will be assessed. They may make him pay bond on the probation violation until the hearing on the violation is set, but no matter what he has to appear in court on this to get it cleared up.

Read full interaction below »

Question

My adult son has a white warrant on him in Arkansas. He missed a court date and he is on probation. He tells me that if he pays $350 then the white warrant will go away but they will set a court date for him to appear. I have been reading about white warrants and I don't think it works like that. I am not sure what the court date was for but it wasn't parking tickets. He has not history of bad crime but I know it was more serious than parking tickets and less than theft or something like that. But how does he resolve this? does he pay some kind of amount then get another court date? Does he get arrested if he pays it?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok I sort of figured that. But if he "surrenders to the court" what does that mean? Just show up and get thrown in jail until they decide to see him? Does he need a lawyer to make sure that doesn't happen? He wants to resolve this but he doesn't want to lose his job, etc.

It means he really needs to show up to court with an attorney, because he absolutely could be arrested in the court. The attorney could arrange for him to not be arrested prior to him showing up. However, if he shows up without going through an attorney, yes they could arrest him and hold him until a hearing is held.