Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Some bullies have been bothering our 16 yr old son at his high

Customer Question

Some bullies have been bothering our 16 yr old son at his high school. We just moved here two years ago, and when we did, our son tried to make friends with the boys in the neighborhood. We live in an upscale neighborhood in Austin, TX. But our son found out pretty quickly that the boys were heavily into all kinds of drugs and alcohol, so he stopped being friends with them. The boys were not happy about that, and the fact that our son dresses very well, is half French, and the girls are crazy about him. The boys taunted him relentlessly because he wouldn't get high, and one boy, "Abe," continually threatened to beat up our son. Another, "Bob" called him "fag" and threatened and harassed our son so much in class that even though our son made an A in the class, he wasn't given credit for the class, because he was constantly skipping or telling the school police and the assistant principal about the problems he was having. Finally, my son had enough and met with "Abe" and fought him at a park after school one day. My son, having a brown belt in martial arts, got the best of the situation, and the boy and his gang of friends swore revenge.

A few days later, three car-loads of boys started driving back and forth in front of our home. Our son alerted us, and my husband went out side and took photos of the cars and wrote down the license plate number of one of the cars. They circled again , and someone in one of the cars threw a bottle at my husband and cursed at him. In a few minutes the cars came back and parked in front of the house. Several of them exited the car armed with baseball bats. My husband and I confronted the boys at the curb, and we spoke with them and hoped the issue had been resolved.

A few days later, after school had let out for the summer, our son was going out early in the morning to take his car to take his ACT test for college. His car had been demolished. The word "FAG" had been scratched all over the the car hood and doors in giant letters. The back tire had been punctured, and someone had thrown a huge brick through the back window.

We contacted the police, but no one came out to check on it for an entire week. Finally a detective was assigned to the case after I called the Hate Crime Task Force and the Anti-Defamation League. The detective did little to discover who the perpetrators were, and the case was suspended.

This Friday night while we were sleeping, at 3:20 in the morning there was a huge crashing sound. Our son, who was still at his computer (and should have been in bed) looked out his window to see "Abe" and another boy, "Charles", running from the home toward the street. My husband heard the crash, and he and our son ran downstairs to find that two bricks matching the one that was thrown into the car, had been simultaneously thrown through our french doors in our dining room and our front music room. Glass was everywhere, and the doors were ruined, leaving our home open to the elements or invaders.

We called the police, and our son got in the car and went to follow the boys who had already circled around and passed the house once in "Charles'" midnight blue Jeep. Our son recognized the car, as Charles had given him rides home from school when we first moved here. When the boys circled around again, our son met them head-on, and they looked right at him. He recognized both boys as Abe and Charles again. They sped past him again. They circled our house a third time and even had the audacity to honk their horn as they passed me and my husband on the lawn. As they sped away, they almost ran the police vehicle off the road when they ran a stop sign on their way out of the neighborhood.

When the police arrived, they took the story, told us about meeting the kids in their Jeep and then did absolutely nothing. That was Friday. Today is Labor Day, and nothing has happened. What can we do?

The car cost $2K to repair, I have no idea how much it will cost to replace our french doors, and we are absolutely terrorized by these kids. What legal steps can we take to protect our son and our property against these monsters?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 2 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Have the police given you a reason why they will not arrest these kids?

Are they all juveniles under 18?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still waiting for a response.

I have never received a response to my info request.

Are they all juveniles under 18?