How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question

P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 30737
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wifes father and his 2nd wife (my wifees stepmother) formed

Customer Question

My wife's father and his 2nd wife (my wifee's stepmother) formed a trust 4 years ago prior to his death in November 2010. This trust became irrevocable on his death 2 years ago. She became the trustee of the trust. We have documentation of the trust, as well as the documents of the assets of the trust in our possesion. She has refused to provide an accounting of the trust. We have retained an attorney in an effort to force her to provide documentation of the trust but she has simply not responded. We have made settlement offers to resolve the dispute and she has not responded. If an irrevocable trust is a state entity, and she is the designated adminstrator, at what point does this behavior of this manner, which seems to me to be deliberate fraud of a trust, become criminal? Would a Florida State prosecutor decide to investigate if we present this information? Her attorney takes months to respond to our letters and it is obvious that at this point they have no intention of resolving this matter and intend to keep all the assets of the trust.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to assist on this matter. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience in criminal law.

There is often a broad line between civil and criminal court.

Example; Say a person negotiates a contract with another person to buy a car. The seller promises to deliver the car and the title once they receive payment via paypal. Lets say for this example both parties live in the same city in Florida. So the buyer transfers funds, the seller takes the money and refuses to deliver the car. And lets just say, for arguments sake, the seller never intended to give the car, they wanted the money and the car. Technically, that is theft.

And that can be prosecuted as a civil case and/or as a civil case.

So, what happens when the buyer complains to the local police?

Most cases the police would simply say "this is a civil matter"

Technically, it is a criminal matter. It is the state of mind of the seller that makes it criminal.

But that is the rub...see, to prove the case, the prosecutor needs to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that the seller intended to steal.

And in a single case like this? That can be hard to do...they (the seller) may claim that the deal was for more money, and that the buyer did not pay the proper amount, etc...

And the prosecutor has discretion.

You can not force them to prosecute.

So, in your case, what you describe sure sounds like fraud. The trustee has a fiduciary duty to the beneficiary. If they breach that duty they can be sued in civil court.

And, IF you can prove they are doing this on deny the beneficiary access to the funds in order to keep the money for themselves? That would be criminal fraud. to get he prosecutor to take the case?

depends...depends on the prosecutor.

The prosecutor has discretion to allow the system to work. You could not prosecute every possible crime...the system would have to "pick your battles"

But if you have a case where it is clear, from the records, that the trustee is taking the action to enrich herself? ANd you can lay this out for a prosecutor? They may well take the case on.

I would have your lawyer approach the prosecutor with the evidence you have and ask for may well get it.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Nate's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
  • RobertJDFL's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: