Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

My son got 2 MIPs, 16 years old. Do I need a lawyer? First

My son got 2 MIP's, 16 years old. Do I need a lawyer? First time to get in any type of trouble. Good student, athelete. He is also charged with theft, because he took it from the grocery store he was working in at the time. He paid for it, but under a different expense, so no proof
these are misdemeanor charge and this is more than just 2 MIP's, he also has a misdemeanor theft. So these are showing a pattern of problem behavior and he does indeed need a lawyer to try to stop him from having a criminal record which will hinder him for years to come.

A MIP charge in Iowa is a misdemeanor and for a first offense it is punishable by a $200.00 fine plus court costs. However, for his second offense it is punishable by a fine of $500.00 PLUS he must choose to either complete a substance abuse evaluation or have his driver's license suspended for up to one year.

I strongly urge you to get him representation to protect him as much as possible and to get him the assistance he needs to get through this rough patch he is going through.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”