Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

Can a felon be prevented from entering a condo community of residents who are 55 years of

Can a felon be prevented from entering a condo community of residents who are 55 years of age and older? A person who is in jail is requesting release to the care of his mother who lives in the condo.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

My name is FiveStarLaw. I shall strive to provide you with legal information. My answers are information only and do not form an attorney/client relationship.

If at any time the information which I provide is not clear to you or does not fully answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button. When we are done, please take a moment to click the rating tab to rate my work. My goal is EXCELLENT and I hope your rating reflects that.

The law does allow a condo association to prohibit a felon from residing on the condo property.

There is not a federal nor Alaska law that prohibits denial of housing based upon a criminal record.

The Federal and Alaska Fair Housing Act do not prohibit discrimination on the basis of a criminal record but do prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, sex, etc.

I think this is what you wanted to know. Please let me know if I have answered your question or whether you would like further information
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The condo is under HOPA Housing for Older Persons Act which allows discrimination by age. Our felon will be 55 in January 2013 so we can keep him from living here legally until that time. It is the time after that we are concerned about. From your answer, I am understanding that after that time, when he is old enough, we cannot bar him from entering the (or living in) building. Is my understanding correct?

I certainly do thank you for your time.

Thank you for the opportunity to clarify.

A condo MAY prohibit a felon from entering or living on the condo property. Discrimination on the basis of a criminal record is NOT against the law
Thank you very much for the excellent rating and for the bonus! I appreciate it.

If I can be of assistance in the future, begin your question with: "For FiveStarLaw"