Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

Hello. I live directly across the street from a Middle School.

Hello. I live directly across the street from a Middle School. I have rented a room to a nice man who promised that he drank only a little and did not do any drugs. I asked his persmission to enter his room to set a gift in there. I realized that I was missing a night light and, since the room is totally furnished with my furniture, I opened a drawer to find a small crude pipe and a very small amount of pot.

I was told many years that if drugs were discovered at a home near a school the City or State could take that house away from the owner. I'm no so concerned about this young man but what if a 'dealer' type shows up at my house and police get a tip, or have been watching, and come arrest him @ my home.

Would the city (Virginia Beach) or the State (Virginia) be able to seize my house? Or is this an old wives tale...?

Thank you.
Victoria

Thank you
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Do you have a written lease agreement with this tenant?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I do. And it clearly stipulates no drugs due the reason stated above.

Thank you.

Thank you for your follow up.

As long as you are not charged with any drug crime and it is a tenant who is using drugs, the state would not be able to take your house away and generally the real estate only get seized by the government in cases where the home owner is convicted of dealing drugs and using drug proceeds for the purchase of the real estate.