How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask xavierjd Your Own Question
xavierjd , Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3400
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience in prosecution and defense work
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
xavierjd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i received a dwi in yadkin county nc about 4 years ago after

Resolved Question:

i received a dwi in yadkin county nc about 4 years ago after being called for a ride home from my 12 year old daughter. I was also charged by the state patrol officer- misdemeanor child abuse, which was voluntarily disissed by the judge. It still appears on my record as being voluntarily dismissed. Can I get this removed/expunged from my record?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  xavierjd replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for using It will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Does the voluntary dismissal appear in the disposition area of your record?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Expert:  xavierjd replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the information.

I want to look up a couple of things. I'll be back with you shortly--hopefully approximately 15 or 20 minutes--but hopefully less!

Thanks for your patience.
Expert:  xavierjd replied 3 years ago.
Thanks again, for your patience.

The answer to your question is "yes." You can have the child abuse dismissal expunged.

N.C. Gen. Stat. 15A-146 entitles a person to the expungement of charges that were either dismissed or for which there were findings of not guilty entered. The person cannot have any felony convictions on their record, either before or since the charge that the petitioner is attempting to expunge. The statute does NOT allow expungement if the person has previously been granted an expungement under 15A-145, 15A-145.1, 15A-145.2, 15A-145.3, or 15A-146. There are no filing fees assessed for filing a petition for an expungement under 15A-146.


To get the expungement, you must prepare expunction form AOC-CR-237 Form; consult your court records and be sure to check the box indicating the statute that applies in your case. Complete form totally. Make sure to sign where indicated.

By consulting your court records, that means that you must go to the court in which you were charged and ask to see your court file. The statute that applies to the dismissal in your case should be on the Disposition or Order dismissing the charge. You can ask the court clerk if you need assistance finding the correct paperwork/statute that dismissed the charge.

Below is a link to form AOC-CR-237. Again, this form MUST be filled out COMPLETELY and signed.

Next, go to the office of county clerk in the county where the offense occurred. Request the clerk to have a judge sign bottom right corner of AOC-CR-237 on first page. Also ask the clerk to forward AOC-CR-237 to the SBI, Criminal Information & Identification Section of Expungement Unit. Make sure to keep a copy of the petition for your records.
Then, await judgment of court. Upon receipt of the Petition for Expungement, North Carolina SBI will check criminal history records, then forward petition to the administrative officer of the court. The presiding judge in the county involved reviews information gathered and provided by the SBI and the administrative officer before either granting or denying the expungement order.

You do have the option of trying to try to expunge the charge yourself, but it is not always recommended because there is a lot at risk when trying to clean your record and a mistake could be very costly. Therefore, you may wish to consult an attorney who specializes in criminal law in the county in which you were charged. An initial consultation is usually at a minimal cost. You can discuss the specific facts of your case, even show him/her your paperwork before it is filed, and decide how to proceed. It is possible that a hearing may be held before the judge grants/denies your Petition.

Below is a link to the North Carolina Bar Association Attorney Referral Page.

Good luck.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Reply tab.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with “excellent service” so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY tab. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.


xavierjd, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3400
Experience: Over 20 yrs experience in prosecution and defense work
xavierjd and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your help


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
  • Nate's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
  • RobertJDFL's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Criminal Law Questions