Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

For JD1992: The defendant in preparing his own brief is a

For JD1992: The defendant in preparing his own brief is a little intimidated by being to critical of the judge. In the guidelines for writing the brief it mentions there can be no contempt of court. In the current situation being pro se he has no choice but to be critical of the trial judge. So it is a little hard to understand what the guideline means. The following is probably the most critical comment in all the propositions:

The court stated he appointed an attorney in the negligent homicide case because it was going to jury trial and it was a serious case. He said this particular case was not quite as complicated and the court was familiar with what normally happens in a drug paraphernalia case, and it’s usually not terribly severe.( Tr 4-5) The court continued: (Tr 5)
(court): But because you had posted a high appeal bond and were going to, you know, be able to come up with extensive costs for a transcript in that case and everything, I just didn’t feel it was appropriate to appoint an attorney in this particular case. (Tr 5) The court was speaking of case xyz as mentioned by the Appellant when he was speaking of paying a high bond and coming up with extensive cost for transcripts.( Tr 2 ) However the transcripts of that case was paid for by the State since the court appointed an attorney as the court mentioned.(Tr 4) The court stated he “just didn’t feel it was appropriate to appoint an attorney in this particular case.” But the fact is the court did appoint an attorney in this case as stated by the Appellant ( Tr 2 ) and documented on the Affidavit , the court -appointed attorney, filed a Motion for Discovery for the Appellant date(O.R. ) He also represented the Appellant for bond appearances on date, date, date and date. A court minute shows he was allowed to withdraw on date.All of that was this case.

Do you think that sounds to disrespectful coming from the Appellant? And what if this case is remanded for new trial, will the defendant have to go throught the same judge after making so many negative comments about him, albeit true comments?
No, it doesn't sound disrespectful. You can complain about the judges action and tell the court that the actions of the judge were against the rules/law, you just can't make personal attacks and things like that.

If the case is remanded you will normally go back to the same judge but they usually are very respectful and nice because they know they can get into trouble if they aren't.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask but please do so my clicking on the Reply to Expert tab.

We work for Positive Ratings, please click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces, as this would be appreciated. We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system to ask for more information or in an attempt to tell the website that you didn’t like the substance of the answer as it gives a NEGATIVE rating to me personally if your rating is one of the lower two.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.