Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

What is meant by a defendent not being allowed to leave the

What is meant by a defendent not being allowed to leave the state without notifying probation? On the surface it seems straight forward. But what if a person lives in New Jersey and wants to go to Manhattan for a few hours on the holiday tomorrow. Can this be done or is that prohibited?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Actually, it is very straight forward, if someone is on probation they simply cannot leave the state for any reason without approval of their probation officer. Even if this is a 1 hour trip to NY, if you are caught doing so, it is indeed a probation violation for which your probation officer could punish you by filing the violation in the court. Thus, you legally cannot go to NY as part of the terms of your probation unless you received advance approval from your probation officer.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is there any way to contact probation over a holiday weekend?

This depends on your probation officer, some give their probationers a 24 hour contact number and some do not, this is solely at their discretion.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, what if a probation officer has said verbally that there is no problem unless you are in New York for over 24 hours. How can you rely on that if it was communicated verbally? I understand that the entire thing is on the honor system and everyone is 100% honorable. I understand that nobody ever forgets what they said to you before.

That having been said, even if one trusts their probation officer, how can one be sure in this area given all of the what ifs and the fact that the person on probation assumes 100% of the risk of any misunderstanding?

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I would hope you are being facetious about everyone being 100% honorable and nobody ever forgetting what they tell you. I am afraid that these issues are solely at the discretion of the probation department and are not listed in the statutes. There are misunderstandings that occur, but in general day trips to NY from NJ, because of the proximity and the way the area is set up geographically will not be punished by the court as a violation without first putting a warning on your record in the court.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer