Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

I have been accused of theft of a paddle floating on a riv

I have been accused of theft of a 'paddle' floating on a river in Noel, Mo today. The police have the paddle which I recovered from the river and it doesn't match the description or have the markings of the campground that made the false police report against me. At first they tried to claim I jumped out of my kayak in Noel and took one...but when they realized that wasn't really possible, they claimed I took it from them up river, but everyone with me can attest that I only had my kayak paddle with me. They are charging my wife with trespassing because when she tried to pick me up from the river she lost the sticker that blew off the windshield. My friend that paid can attest that we paid. I asked the Marshal in the town what charge I can make in return but was told I can charge them with nothing... What are my options?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I am afraid that you have to first go to court on the trespassing charge and present evidence showing you did not trespass, since there is a bit of a fallacy of being innocent until proven guilty in these local courts. The prosecution does have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt you were trespassing, but part of this means that you would have to raise the reasonable doubt and you do so by having your friend who can attest that you paid for your permit testify. Once you are found not guilty, then you could sue the party who brought these charges against you for malicious prosecution and prove they made these known false statements against you and you would seek monetary compensation for their false claims.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this answer doesn't address the other charge after they got angry about the dispute of trespassing...that being the charge of theft of a paddle.

I apologize, you did say they have no proof the paddle is theirs and you also said that the story they told the police was not possible that you could have accomplished the theft the way they claimed it happened. Thus, if this is the case, they could not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you stole their paddle. As I said above, they have to prove the charges beyond a reasonable doubt, you stated above more than enough reasonable doubt in your statement in that it was not possible for you to take the paddle the way they claimed, the paddle does not match the paddle they claim was taken and you have witnesses that can attest it did not happen. If all of that is true, your witnesses would testify if the DA even accepts these charges and the prosecution could not prove their case against you. This would add to your case of malicious prosecution against the campground once the criminal case is over.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience