Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney

I left the scene of accident and left my vechile. The troopers

Customer Question

I left the scene of accident and left my vechile. The troopers charged me with hit and run. I never hit anyone and no one ever hit me. They also charged me with aggravated obstruction to hwy
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 1 year ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - What you need to do is plead not guilty to both charges and try to get the prosecutor to drop one of them and allow you to plead to the other. The "hit and run" is the same as "leaving the scene of an accident so it doesn't matter if you hit anyone. You may even be able to get that reduced to some lesser charge depending on the circumstances. If you cannot afford an attorney you can ask the court to appoint counsel since the leaving the scene is a somewhat serious charge. Unless you plead not guilty you will have both charges on your record. I cannot tell you what chance you would have to successfully try the case and be found not guilty but if you can get an attorney to represent you there may be some circumstances involved that would be a defense to both of the charges. The case would have to be evaluated as to the facts involved and that is nothing I could do from this website. You should not make any statements to anyone but an attorney about the case.
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience: 25 years experience practicing attorney
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My suv started missing, I begin to prepare to get off of road, the car behind me never hit me, car number 3 hit car number 2. I was car number 1. Never was I hit or never did I hit car. I believe it was a road cap, that I hit, that caused me to hit my head.
The charge is leaving the scene so it doesn't matter if you hit another car. If you were in an accident then you must remain at the scene under the law. There are exceptions, such as leaving because you are injured so if you left for some excusable reason you may have a viable defense.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no one hit me and i did not hit anyone! my vechile was running hot and missing, i slowed down to get off hwy. today ins. co. found me not at fault. Firestone found i had a cracked housing .is aggravated obstruction to hwy. reasonable charge if i left my vechile. Due to all info.

If there was no accident then I agree that there would be no reason that you should be charged with leaving the scene of an accident. I was assuming that there was some sort of accident in which your were involved only that no other car was involved. If you weren't in an accident then plead not guilty and defend the case on that basis. It is not a violation of law to have a breakdown of equipment and it certainly isn't leaving the scene of an accident.