Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I would like to know how I can get an medical marijuana ID

I would like to know how I can get an medical marijuana ID card from the State of New York. I understand New York passed a law in June, 2012, but have yet to get any answer on how to get a ID card or even information on how to go about growing marijuana and run a dispensary. 16 other states have a medical marijuana law, where is the info for New York State? Thank You!
Hello Jacustomer,

There is a proposed bill that has passed in NY's Assembly in June, but it has not come up for a vote yet in the state senate. Medical marijuana is still illegal here in New York. You can read the bill and see the present status here. (See link) So there's a way to go yet, especially as it is not the first time, but the third that the Assembly has voted in favor of legalizing medical marijuana. The Senate has historically been opposed and has never let the matter come to a vote, citing the fact that marijuana is illegal under Federal law.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.