Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  16 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

I have a mortgage of 114,700 and local sales of comparble homes

I have a mortgage of 114,700 and local sales of comparble homes is 109000. I can no longer work and have a net worth of 0. I want to turn in my house to the bank. How do I do it?
.
If you are talking about simply surrendering the house to the lender, you can contact them and see if they would be agreeable to a "deed in lieu of foreclosure" if you will be unable to continue to make payments. This essentially is where the borrower deeds the property back to the lender and the lender then forgives the outstanding mortgage.
.
If they aren't willing to agree to this, then you could simply stop paying and live there until they actually foreclosed. AZ is considered a non-recourse state if the property is less than 2.5 acres and is your primary residence. So if this is the case, they can't sue you for any deficiency. To be perfectly honest, this option makes the most financial sense for the borrower as they can save up their money for an eventual move. It could take the lender a year or longer to foreclose since they are so backed up right now.
.
The other option is to do a voluntary foreclosure where you just move, lock the place up and then mail them the keys with a letter stating that you are surrendering possession to the lender effective immediately.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

Please remember to rate my answer. I will gladly continue our discussion until you have gotten the information you need.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” or “CONTINUE CONVERSATION” button.

.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.
Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes. But rest assured, I will get back to you.

.

I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

.