Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor

For some background: I currently have 35,000 in debt to American

For some background: I currently have 35,000 in debt to American express. Over the past I have been able to pay off balances in full totalling 10,000 to 69,000 in some months. Recently, I had an out of court settlement, leaving me with little to nothing. This Amex debt has been charged in the past 2 months and was charged with every intention of paying it back just like in previous months. American Express has begun to call me as I am now in default. As a sign of good faith, I made a 500 dollar payment.
My question is, will American Express perceive my recent charges as fraud? (these charges were mostly on clothing and luxury goods, but thats no different than months past as this card was primarily used for that affect) I have no assets and I am being relocated to the United Kingdom. I dont want this to affect my immigration. and can they pursue my debts if I am out of the country? (proper service, collections, etc.)
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
How long have you had this Amex account and was it always used to purchase the luxury goods?

Do you still have the goods or if not, how did you dispose of the goods for which this debt is outstanding?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have had the Amex for two years and I still have the goods.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

And yes it has always been used for luxury goods.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I still have the goods. And I have had the Amex for 2 years. Should i send Amex proof that I had the finances before the settlement? How will Amex view this and what should my actions be?

Thank you for your follow up.

Basically, this is a civil matter between you and AmEx and AmEx can and will likely file a civil lawsuit against you in which it can seek, the money owed and/or goods purchased, as well as interest, and attorneys' fees and costs.

In order for the AmEx to allege any fraud, it would have to have solid evidence to prove that you have intent to defraud the company and that you were buying these luxury goods without any intention to pay AmEx back, which would be extremely difficult to do, especially if you have a 2 year good payment history with them and were purchasing similar goods.

I would suggest that you simply contact AmEx and make payments arrangements which would allow for you to make an affordable monthly payment until the debt is paid off and in exchange you should seek a written agreement with AmEx that they would not pursue any collection activity against you.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor