Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor

A roommate just moved out and took thousands of dollars in

Customer Question

A roommate just moved out and took thousands of dollars in property owned by me. He left the state Arizona in a Penske rental truck heading to Murfreesboro, tn. He is driving on a restricted license with a super extreme DUI in Santa Cruz county. He has not full filled his obligation of DUI charge with the state of Arizona. What do I do to catch him on the road prior to reaching Tennessee ? I have notified and filed my case with the Nogales police dept. Please advise.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

You have certainly started in the right direction by notifying your local police department. You stated that he has not "fulfilled his obligation" as to the DUI charge. I'm assuming this means he is on probation and has not completed the terms of probation. If this is the case, leaving the state is quite likely a violation of his probation. If so, then a warrant could be issued for his arrest.

.

Between the theft report with the police department, the warrant for his arrest for a violation of probation and driving without a license, I would expect that a police department along the route would be willing to set up to make a traffic stop. He would then be arrested and extradited back to Arizona.

.

Please let me know if anything requires clarification.
.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on a positive rating for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to provide a positive rating. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

.

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are are kidding me? I asked what can I do now with the suspect on the road? I am not stupid, I asked for further help on the road with catching him! He is not in violation as the state of arizona does not know he has left the state! It's a holiday weekend! Give me some information or directive for quick action I can use as time is extremely crucial in this situation.
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

Please understand that I only know what you tell me here on the website. For example, I do not know that the state is unaware of his departure unless you tell me that. Also, I will gladly treat you with respect and I ask that you do the same, otherwise I will surely not be able to help you. Lastly, please note that I welcome requests for clarification and follow-up. Meaning, rather than giving stating that I provided "bad service", I would kindly ask that you simply hit the "reply" and let me know what else you need.

.
The criminal justice system is many things, it is rarely fast. I mean no offense, but the theft of your personal property will not rate terribly high on the list of priorities for any police department. Candidly, this is part of the reason I referred to a violation of probation warrant, this would be considered more serious by law enforcement and therefore more likely to lead to an arrest.

.

Do you know the route he is taking? If so, you might consider contacting a few law enforcement agencies along his route, especially highway patrol. As his license is suspended due to a DUI offense, the highway patrol would take this seriously and effectuate a traffic stop if they locate him. Once stopped, he could be arrested for both the driving offense and for theft.

.

Do you know the address of his final destination? If so, you can contact the local Penske return center. If they are aware that he is driving one of their vehicles with a license suspended from a DUI, they may be willing to notify you and/or law enforcement upon his arrival. Again, such an action could lead to his arrest.
.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have contacted Penske they stated as long as he rented the truck legally there is nothing they can do, even though I advised them I filed a theft report, and the reported stolen items are in a truck they rented to the suspect. The Nogales Police Dept has issued an APB for the route he will be driving from Tucson, Az to Mursfeesboro, TN. Does drinking and driving rate higher than felony theft? And if so, what can you or I do in the mean time? Nothing, is what I gather, very frustrating. I am trying to get the Penske rental truck pulled over ASAP but i am not able to pinpoint his location. Penske is not offering any assistance in this matter. At this point, I feel my only hope is he gets pulled over and they give a sobriety check, as he always drinks and drive. It seems nothing can ever be done until the worst of the crime as been committed, then it's too late. The legal advice you offered was not helpful. I need a lawyer now to take action and contact authorities he is a danger on the road. Of course, what i say is only here say, even with 2 DUIs in 10 yrs. on the alleged suspect. I provided the destination address to the Nogales Police Dept of the suspects destination. Who can I contact to help me? I gather I am on my own and I will pursue this matter with legal consult. Thank you.
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
What happened with your local law enforcement agency? Have they contacted anyone on the other end? What is often done in cases where the victim is in one location and the accused is in another is that the law enforcement agency in the victim's location will contact the agency in the accused's location to assist in the investigation. Has that occurred here? Also, do you know the specific address of where he is moving? Thank you.