Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor

I am a loving, active dog owner who plans her day around the

I am a loving, active dog owner who plans her day around the care and attention of my 2 heelers. I visit a friendly, clean dog park daily (sometimes twice A.M.& P.M.). They are never alone more than 2-3 hours, have consistent vet visits, yady yady yada. Yesterday on the way to the dog park at 4PM I added a stop to my plan We left the house about 3:45 stopped at a Circle K for my Icey Cola and gave the dogs a bowl of iced water. 5 minutes later I parked in a completely shaded area, rolled 4 windows down at least 12 to 14 inches. dumped the dog water out so it wouldnt spill all over the back of the small suv I have...there's also a sunshade for the dogs to sleep under if I am traveling. I left them hydrated and happy. I returned 20-25 minutes later to a policeman waiting to arrest me on the criminal charge of neglect/ no water for dogs. I filled up their bowl as he was writing up my arrest citation. I attend criminal court in 10 days in the city of Tucson, AZ. Do I need a lawyer? If so how do I find one and what could possibly happen to me and/or my dogs? I'm worried.

I am a criminal defense attorney and I believe I can provide assistance in this matter. However, a bit of clarification would help. Can you provide the ordinance number under which you were charged? Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you...Tucson City has some raving pro-dog activists, of which, ironically I am supportive of. There are A LOT of criminal laws pertaining to dogs. I THINK my criminal offense is: TC4-3.2B Animal-no water. At least that is what I can determine from my citation

That ordinance actually states that water must be "accessible to the animal at all times". So, from a strict reading of the ordinance, you would appear to be guilty of the offense. Having said that, I would suggest that you have some mitigating circumstances in your favor. This would include the items that you detailed above indicating that you take proper care of your pets.

As you may know, a violation of the ordinance is punishable by incarceration and fines of up to $1,000. With this in mind, I would certainly suggest retaining an attorney. You might check with family or friends to see if they have any recommendations. Otherwise, a quick Google search will help you locate dozens of attorneys in your area. You should consider finding 3 or 4 that seem to meet your criteria and meeting with each in person to explain your situation. You could then retain the one that most makes you feel that he can provide the representation you need.

Please let me know if anything requires clarification.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on a positive rating for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to provide a positive rating. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.