Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

My son is 45 years old and has been driving on a suspended

Customer Question

My son is 45 years old and has been driving on a suspended license for quite some time. Last Wednesday he was stopped by the police and they found his plates had expired and had three warrants pending. They locked him up for 24 hours. He was arrained the next days he has three different court appearances. He is currently attending community college and trying to get his life back on track.

He was told he could not get behind the wheel of a car; he is currently carrying a full load; but can't drive. Is there a temporary license he obtain until this situation clears up?

A concerned parent!
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
At this point, I am afraid that there is no temporary license he can obtain because he has 3 warrants already and was caught driving on a suspended license again and this is a preclusion of issuing a license. I am afraid that if your son wants any hope of eventually qualifying for at least a hardship license, he needs to make alternative transportation arrangements until he gets the charges cleared up in court and once the charges are cleared in court then he can file an appeal to get at least a hardship license. According to MI Statute 257.323c disallows a restricted license in the following cases:

(1) If the person’s license has been suspended pursuant to section 625f (refusal of chemical test) within the immediately preceding 7-year period, a restricted license shall not be issued.
(2) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, the court shall not issue a restricted license to a person who has accumulated over 24 points, as provided in section 320a, within the 2-year period preceding the date of the suspension of his or her license.

Other than that he can apply for a hardship license but he is going to have to at least get the matters taken care of in the court or get the court to agree that a hardship can be issued pending disposion of the cases.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”