lwpat
lwpat, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing criminal defense attorney
15417118

I was wondering what the statute of limitations is in NY state

Customer Question

I was wondering what the statute of limitations is in NY state for dangerous drug liabilty.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question to JA/Pearl. Legal questions often take time for research or I may be offline so please be patient, I will reply.

I am not sure whether this is something criminal or something civil. Can you provide some more details. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Approximately 5 years ago, I took the drug Chantix for smoking cessation. I ended up becoming maniacal,labile,severelt depressed and developing severe anxiety,which I still take medication for. I also was on an antidepressant foe several years,which I have finally weaned off of. I took this drug proir to the black box warnings. I am interested in suing Pzizer because of what happened to my life and all of the fallout that occured due to the depression and anxiety. I do not if I can sue in the stae of New York or federally.

Expert:  lwpat replied 4 years ago.
I am very sorry to hear of your situation. I have not heard of any class action suits against Chantix but there might be. You may be able to Google and find something. To answer your question, the statute of limitations in New York is six years so you only have a very short time to file. Bringing such a case carries a very heavy burden of proof so unless you can find a class action somewhere, I am not sure that you will find an attorney to take your case on a contingency. I hope that you are doing better now and best wishes to you in the future.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

well, there is a multidistrct suit on a federal level being handled by an Alabama court, which I already found on my own,so your info is somewhat off.

Expert:  lwpat replied 4 years ago.
That is good news for you since you may be able to join in that class action suit. However, the only question that you asked was as to the statute of limitations in NY, which is six years.