Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney experienced in criminal matters, having represented hundreds of clients with every misdemeanor and felony imaginable.
18210975

My husband was charged with sexual assault of a child by exposure

My husband was charged with sexual assault of a child by exposure and was given deferred adjudication, which was successfully completed, and had to register for 10 years. He completed his registration requirements 2 years ago. His question...can he have and transport a rifle to and from a hunting lease legally? We know he can not get a hand gun license but what about a rifle for hunting? Also, if he can not have or transport a rifle and I am in the vehicle with him with my hunting license and he is taking me hunting can he get in trouble for me having my rifle? Thank you.

Michael J, Esq. :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your criminal problem today.

Michael J, Esq. :

You said his adjudication was deferred. Since he completed the probation, he was never convicted, correct?

Customer:

In texas, what i have read is that any deferred adudication is considered a conviction, but I'm not sure.

Michael J, Esq. :

deferred adjudication is by definition a withholding of the conviction. If the person completes the probation, there is no conviction entered. Let me make sure that is the case in Texas, so hold please.

Michael J, Esq. :

Yes, confirmed, deferred adjudication is not a conviction, as long as you complete all your probationary orders.

Michael J, Esq. :

This would mean, from what I understand of the law, that your husband should have no problem owning a gun. Obviously, I would speak to a local attorney before purchasing or being around any firearm.

Customer:

ok, thank you so much. have a great day.

Michael J, Esq. :

If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

Michael