Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney experienced in criminal matters, having represented hundreds of clients with every misdemeanor and felony imaginable.
18210975

there was a break-in in my ex-wifes neighborhood so i lent

there was a break-in in my ex-wife's neighborhood so i lent her my Glock with the understanding that she would immediately get her own. she did not and now a year has gone by, we are not the best of friends and she refuses to return it. she does not have her hsc. can you tell me my liability as a result of lending her the handgun without her having her hsc and my options to get it back. thanks.

Michael J, Esq. :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your criminal problem today.

Michael J, Esq. :

As far as getting her back, you would need to first send her a certified letter (from an attorney) requesting that the gun be returned before a suit is filed. This usually scares the offender into complying. If she does not comply, you would have to file suit in small claims court for the return of the gun.

Michael J, Esq. :

As far as liability goes, it is conceivable that you could be brought into a civil suit if the gun was used illegally since you are the registered owner. However, I wouldn't worry about that situation at this point as it does not seem very probable.

Customer:

do you know what my legal liability is for lending her the gun without her having the handgun safety certificate?

Michael J, Esq. :

As I mentioned, if she used it illegally, you could be brought into a civil suit. You don't have any direct liability concerning her failure to have her certificate, that's between her and the government.

Customer:

ok, thank you.

Michael J, Esq. :

No problem. If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

Michael