JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

15yrs ago I was convicted in hawaii for shop lifting is this

15yrs ago I was convicted in hawaii for shop lifting is this affecting my job search what can I do to have a job
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of your experience. Things are harder in Hawaii then some other states when it comes to convictions.

In Hawaii, convictions stay on your criminal record. They cannot be expunged.

You may apply for a pardon; however pardoned charges do remain on your record and do not qualify for expungement.

For information about pardons, you can contact Hawaii Paroling Authority at(NNN) NNN-NNNN Their application packet is found here: http://hawaii.gov/psd/attached-agencies/hpa/Pardon-application2.pdf

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Reply tab.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with “excellent service” so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY tab. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when filling out job application and they ask if you were convicted or not is it better to say yes
You have to answer truthfully -- if they later learned that you lied, you can get fired for that.

What are your options now?

IF you feel the need to click either

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
Thank you for the recent opportunity to be of assistance with your information needs.

It means a great deal to me that you chose JustAnswer as your information resource.

I hope that we continue to earn your trust and confidence when you seek information in the future.

Best wishes and, thanks again.

~~ J.B.