Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

Hello, I am thinking about moving from SD to MO-- taking over

I am thinking about moving from SD to MO-- taking over somebody's lease from Sept until April in a town of 86,000 people. I feel very nervous about this move as it is a big upheaval. Anyway, it sounds like you have to get MO driver's license plates within 30 days of taking residency. Was wondering if I could get by keeping my SD plates which I can renew before leaving and they would be good for one year (9/30/12 thru 9/30/13). That way if we decide to move back to SD in April we would have our SD plates still on.
Hi Jacustomer,

If you take residency in another state, it's expected that you transfer your registration and plates as well as your license. I know it's inconvenient, but I also know of people who were caught and who faced substantial fines for not doing it. It's not something I'd recommend.