Meigs
Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have multiple years experience prosecuting and defending clients.
22589080

Is it attempted murder if Im at a train station and I walk

Customer Question

Is it attempted murder if I'm at a train station and I walk in the direction of the train with intent to push somebody into the train, but I didn't cause any harm to them or even touch them?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.

meigs004 :

Hello, I am glad you are letting me help you with another interesting question.

Customer: Oh good, you're here again. I'm glad you can help me again.
meigs004 :

The answer to that question is similar to the answer provided for the previous question. Attempted murder is a specific intent crime. It requires an overt act by the individual seeking to cause harm or murder the other individual. Therefore, say you were to, with the specific intent to kill the individual, which the prosecutor would need to prove, bump the individual with your shoulder into the oncoming train, causing the person to be killed, that would be an arguable case for attempted murder.

Customer: But I never touched him.
meigs004 :

However, if you merely have the intent to kill someone, but never in fact touch or take an affirmative step towards completing the crime of murder, than you have attempted nothing other than thinking about shoving an individual in front of a moving train.

meigs004 :

I know that is why I provided a hypothetical that could be considered attempted murder.

Customer: Even if I walked towards the train with intent, but never caused any harm whatsoever?
meigs004 :

The answer to your question is similar in that you have not physically touched or caused harm to the individual, thereby not attempting to murder the individual, even though you may have had the intent, you did not commit the overt act of attempting to murder them.

meigs004 :

Therefore, other than the thought of killing them, you have done nothing wrong.

Customer: So let me get this straight: I just walked in the direction of the train, hoping that he would come there with intent to go push him, and I never did once act of harm, so theoretically, this would just be a criminal thought?
meigs004 :

Yes, you did not perform a crime. That is what is meant by the overt act. An attempt at a crime, such as murder, has to be accompanied by an act to commit murder, or you have attempted nothing. The intent aspect is only element of the crime of attempted murder.

Customer: I see. Am I correct that what I did wasn't an overt act?
meigs004 :

You are correct. You did nothing to the individual other than have a thought to do something. Please return and provide a rating for the answer that I have provided.

Customer: But earlier, you said that this cause would be arguable for attempted murder.
meigs004 :

That was in the hypothetical about shoving the individual.

meigs004 :

You forgot to provide a rating.

meigs004 :

Please do so, so that I may be credited for our time together.

Customer: Alright, thank you. I ask questions like these because of my anxiety disorder. I am in therapy for this problem, and I hope to have it fully resolved soon. You deserve an excellent rating sir, and I shall give you one. Thank you.
meigs004 :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck with your therapy!

meigs004 :

Thanks and please remember me for any future questions!

Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience: I have multiple years experience prosecuting and defending clients.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Another question related. Is it attempted murder if I shake my head to push somebody into the street with cars? This guy was next to me, but we weren't right at the street curb, in fact, we were a little far from it.
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.
The answer is the same as the last. You actually have to have attempted to shove the individual into the street with the intent of a car striking and killing him. Why are you requesting a refund for your original question, that I provided the answer for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Alright cool. That was my mother asking for the refund. And another question. I know this might be the same as the weight thing, but is it attempted murder if I grab an iPod charger (a cord) and walk towards somebody with intent to strangle them, but do nothing to harm them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And is it trying to shove him shaking your head from right to left (he was on the left) in the street for a car to kill him? I did not push him or anything.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello? Are you there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you busy? Because I have a question and it says you're online
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.
I do not know why it indicated that I was online, because I was not. But as I described, it is not attempted murder unless you actually attempt to kill the individual. Why did you mother ask for a refund? Can I expect the same for this question as well?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But if i had intent to kill him and I shook my head to push him, is it attempted murder?
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.
I do not understand what you mean by shook your head to push him.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I shook my head from right to left to push him, is that considered shoving, and would that be attempted murder?
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.
Did you actually push him towards the train with the intent of him being struck by the train and killed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, this "head shaking" thing was in the city when we were not close to the street. Here's what happened. This guy was to the left of me, and the street with cars was to the left, and I shook my head from left to right to push him into the street with intent to kill, but nobody was harmed, and we were not close to the busy street.
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.
Then no you did not attempt to murder him.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I'm glad you're understanding this a little it more. But just to be sure, shaking my head from RIGHT to LEFT (the guy was right next to me on the left, on that last reply, i accidentally said left to right) isn't considered trying to shove somebody into the street
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is what I said in my last reply correct?
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that is correct. Can I expect another request for refund as the last question. I fully addressed your previous question such as I have done here, however, I do not wish to waste my time if you will simply request another refund.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wow, thank you. I felt like I was about to have a panic attack right before I saw your answer. I am just a normal person who goes to high school, plays football and all that but I have been riddled by anxiety for the last few months, and I felt like this website was the only way to get relief. But my therapist is a wise man and he tells me that the obsessive mind is never satisfied. And my obsessive mind is never really satisfied. And I thank you for helping me these last few days, it means so much to me. Please do not confuse me for a mentally ill person, I am just a normal teenager with some anxiety problems I am working on, and I apologize for all of the questioning. I hope I wasn't a bother to you.

So shaking my head isn't considered attempting to shove somebody into the street so a car can strike and kill them?
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.
Correct, if you are satisfied, please provide a positive rating, or click the accept button so that I may be credited for our time together Ben. Thanks and good luck!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yup. And I'm not sure if I got your answer on my question about walking towards somebody with an iPod charger with intent to strangle them, but not doing anything.
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.
It is the exact same thing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The exact same thing as the question with the weight? I see.
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.
That is correct.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Another one. I know this may be practically the same as others, but is it attempted murder if I get out of my chair to poison food upstairs and hope that there's poison and food upstairs, but do nothing?
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.
It is the same thing. You did nothing to attempt to murder someone.
Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Alright. And another question. I know, I know this may sound similar to the others, but is it attempted murder if I get out of my chair to grab a knife and stab someone in the heart, but never grabbed the knife nor caused any harm?
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.
It is similar, in that case, you have done nothing to the individual, therefore you you have not committed attempted murder.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Even if the target and the knife were in the same building? Apparently this is an example of "mere preparation" I see. And just so you know, I have been doing better on controlling my anxiety. Things are starting to look up for me.
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.
That is good to hear Ben. Yes, it does not matter that the individual and the knife are in the same building, as you did nothing to harm the individual.

Please provide a positive rating, or click the accept button so that I may be credited for our time together Ben. Thanks and good luck!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it attempted murder if I grab a baseball bat because I believed that somebody was trying to break in my house (I heard a noise that was suspicious) and not hit anybody? I walked out of my room to look for the person I thought was breaking in.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yo, are you there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It says you're online
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cmon dude I don't have a lot of time
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please!!! Get online!!!! My anxiety is really bad right now and I need your answer for relief so I can continue on with my day and go to football practice!!!!!!
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.
Ben, that is exactly the same thing as what I have provided to you before. Additionally, I can not continue to answer the same questions over and over without being credited for my time and work with you. This is a paid answering service. Please accept my answers if you believe they fully answer your questions.