How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thelawman2 Your Own Question
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1166
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Thelawman2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

since the victim only carries liability with uninsureed motorist,

Customer Question

since the victim only carries liability with uninsureed motorist, car insurance agent says that if the other party has insurance than it is not the insurance company job to pursue the other party's insurance company. the victim has to pursue the other party's insurance company. we purchase insurance for the purpose taking care of accident matters. this sounds very lame. what is the victim's right to have the insurance carrier to take care of matter? in back of the victim's mind the other party may very well have stolen the car that was involved in the accident.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 4 years ago.

Thelawman2 :

Unfortunately, what the insurance company is required to do is based on what type of insurance plan the victim gets. If the insurance plan only covers accidents for uninsured motorists, then the insurance company probably is not required to pursue the claim. To have the insurance company be responsible, the victim probably would have had to get a different plan with higher monthly costs. Everything should be spelled out in the agreement between the victim and the insurance company and if it does not state that the insurance company agrees to pursue such actions, then there is not much that the person can do to get the insurance company to act.

Thelawman2 :

I would suggest hiring a local attorney to pursue the claim