JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

My sister Patty who lost her daughter to a hit and run would

My sister Patty who lost her daughter to a hit and run would like to know (hearing rumors that the "other side" is stalling while building a defense team):
(1) does it make sense to hire a civil lawyer now (less than a week since the accident)
(2) and could this jeopardize the criminal case or should we wait until some threshold occurs?
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am so sorry to learn about your sister's loss. If she is able to (I understand that she may be overwhelmed with grief at the moment), she should consider hiring an attorney as soon as possible.

Her hiring a civil attorney will have no affect on the criminal case. It will not negatively affect the criminal case at all.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Reply tab.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with “excellent service” so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY tab. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

~~ J.B.