Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

A friend of mine plead guilty to a misdemeanor count in the

A friend of mine plead guilty to a misdemeanor count in the state of Washington that required him to register on the sex offender registry for 10 years. He moved to California where sex offenders are required to register for life. It has been 12 years since he plead guilty and he has no further obligations under Washington State law. Is there a way to clear his requirement to register as a sex offender if he chooses to stay in the State of California? Apparently because of the section of law that he plead guilty under in Washington, he is not eligible for expungement.
I am very sorry to say, the sex offender registration laws in some states are very harsh, many times overly harsh. His only recourse, since WA does not allow expungement, would be to file through the Board of Pardons and Parole in WA and seek a pardon through the governor with relief from disabilities. Unless he is able to get a pardon, I am afraid CA will mandate he register even though his registration in WA is over.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is still unclear to me - if he had remained in the state of Washington for 10 years until he was no longer required to register and then moved to California would he then be required to register in California even though he was no longer required to register in the state of Washington?

Also, could he seek a letter of rehabilitation in the state of California, or would he need to go through Washington? Megan's Law says at the bottom:

Relief from the Lifetime Duty to Register. Persons whose registrable sex offenses are nondisclosable to the public may obtain relief from the duty to register upon obtaining a certificate of rehabilitation. Penal Code section 290.5. All others must obtain a governor's pardon to obtain relief from the duty to register as a sex offender. A person is eligible to apply for a certificate of rehabilitation seven to ten years (depending on the registrable sex offense) after release from custody or on parole or probation, whichever is sooner. Certain registrable sex offenders are not eligible to obtain a certificate of rehabilitation. Penal Code sections 4852.01 & 4852.03.
He I believe is on the list of things that are non disclosable to the public.
He would need to file in the CA court with proof that he does not have to register in WA and is on the list of non-disclosable offenses and can seek rehabilitation, which by the way despite the code are rarely granted by the CA courts.