Meigs
Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have multiple years experience prosecuting and defending clients.
22589080

Need a answer that if according to illinois law if filing a false police report of person

Customer Question

Need a answer that if according to illinois law if filing a false police report of person missing day after having police come to house during severe verbal abuse is a felony or a midemeanor, since that is my situation, and I had to leave house due to my dad's severe verbal abuse.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.

meigs004 :

Hello, how are you today?

meigs004 :

I am sorry to hear of your situation.

meigs004 :

So you are wondering if filing a false report is a felony or misdemeanor in Illinois?

Customer:

Yeah, if the police had visited the house night before, due to my father being extremely verbally abusive

Customer:

errr

Customer:
Customer:

not if sorry, stress and tired

Customer:

the police while they were there did witness verbal abuse

meigs004 :

I understand, have you been charged with anything?

Customer:

i'm not the one who did anything wrong, I never said a word back to my father, just gathered my things and left the townhouse I own since police would not force him to leave

meigs004 :

Ok, I understand.

meigs004 :

Let me look up that law to verify, but it is usually a misdemeanor.

Customer:

i read online that it either either a misdemeanor or felony depending on situation

meigs004 :

Right, but in your type of situation it is usually a misdemeanor or violation.

Customer:

so why I came here to ask, and advice on what to do since I fear for my safety, since my dad said to me he "Would make my life living hell", and wondering if that would be enough to get a emergency restraining order agianst him

Customer:
meigs004 :

You own the home?

meigs004 :

Does your father have an ownership interest in the home?

Customer:

along with him lieing to the police, and yes I own the home, and I have a limited financial guardianship, my father is a guardian, and wishes to keep the money he gets every month to help with my needs

meigs004 :

Have you asked him to leave?

Customer:

I do not have a guardian of the person, I am the guardian of my own person, I know all of my information

meigs004 :

I understand.

Customer:

I asked him to leave but he would not

meigs004 :

And you are not his guardian, and he does not have an ownership interest in the property correct?

Customer:

I do not believe so, he lives there for free, and does not pay rent, and wondering if what I have is enough to get restraining order on short notice?

meigs004 :

Yes, it is, if he is verbally abusive and you have had to call the police, I would consult the sheriff's office to have him removed from the home and trespassed from your residence.

Customer:

ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I file the restraining order at the police station?

meigs004 :

First things first, I would have him removed, and then you can either file for a protection from abuse petition, or consult a civil attorney to draft a restraining order.

meigs004 :

But yes, you can get the information for the protection from abuse at the police station or sheriff's office.

meigs004 :

If this answers your question please provide a positive rating by clicking the smiley face. If you have further questions please feel free to ask them!

Customer:

i am staying with my aunt currently, and it was not clear what you said, would I be able to do all that at a police station?

meigs004 :

Yes, I apologize for the confusion. If you want to get the protection from abuse, which is a restraining order, you can do that at a police station.

Customer:

ok thank you very much, that is all I have to ask.

meigs004 :

Great, please provide a positive rating at this time if I have answered your questions!

meigs004 :

Have a great night!

Customer:
Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience: I have multiple years experience prosecuting and defending clients.