JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

Hello I got caught shoplifting (a pair of sandals from kohls)

Customer Question

Hello I got caught shoplifting (a pair of sandals from kohls) $40.00 first time ever shoplifting and caught in muskego wi . Do u know what it will show up as on my record I just paid the ticket of 271 and did not go to court.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of your experience. Please clarify: were you fingerprinted?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes i was taken to the police station but was released wuth a ticket thst saiys retail theft intentionally tske =2500 im wonderingif tjid is going to affect megetting an apartment
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i was fingerprinted
Thank you. If you were fingerprinted, that conviction will appear on your criminal history.

If the places you apply at do background checks, yes, they will see that conviction.

In Wisconsin, it's a Class A misdemeanor. It's a crime. I know that you just paid a ticket. But, the offense itself is a crime.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Reply tab.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with “excellent service” so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY tab. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thanks,
~~ J.B.