JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

Just learned my 19 yr. old has court tomorrow for citation

Just learned my 19 yr. old has court tomorrow for citation received for Poss Drug Paraphanalia. We reside in Texas. He has no record, works, and is in college. How good are the chances of paying the fine and Deferred Adjudication?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of these circumstances. If he goes to court and asks to first meet with the prosecutor, his chances of receiving a plea agreement of deferred adjudication are excellent. There is no reason for him to not receive it.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Reply tab.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with “excellent service” so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY tab. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the boost of confidence. I am worried he will get to court and not ask/say the correct things but he does not want me to go with him. Not knowing what to expect is part of the worry. Does one need to ask for the deferred adjudication specifically beforehand? Also, will this be on his record? Thanks.
If he successfully completes the deferred adjudication, it will not appear on his record for purposes of employment background checks.

Honestly, my guess is that your son has friends who have already gone through this and they've already told him what to do and how to do it. Seriously, that has been my experience in having college-student clients. This is why he's so confident and you're so nervous!

It will be okay. You'll see.

What are your options now?

IF you feel the need to click either

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience: Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.