Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense
18210975

my frirnd was arrested and was in the hospital when his court

my frirnd was arrested and was in the hospital when his court day came up. i had took peperwork for him to proved thas ans was told they would reset the court date. somehow that was ignord and they issued a warrent for failure to appear. whats the penalty in this situatuion
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Michael J, Esq. :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your criminal problem today.

Michael J, Esq. :

The penalty is that he would stay in jail until his court date instead of being able to stay out on bond. When he appears, the Judge can remove the warrant after he explains the mix up. The Judge doesn't want to keep people in jail unless he has too.

Customer:

they told me he would not get a warrent for failutr to appear since i gave them paperwork showing what the problem was. also he was out on bail which i had posted, are the bailbondsmen going to expect me to pat because of this

Michael J, Esq. :

I understand. When he appears, the Judge can have the warrant removed.

Michael J, Esq. :

If the Judge removes the warrant, he can remain out on the same bond with no problems.

Customer:

what do you think he would be facing for the charge which was the possion of a narcotic prescription whic was in an incorrect bottle. the prescription was legal but aparently got mixed up with some in a diferent bottle

Michael J, Esq. :

If it was legal and he can prove it, he wouldn't be facing anything. If you can find the statute he was charged under, I can tell you what the penalties are.

Customer:

it was a misdomener but i dont know the exact statute,

Michael J, Esq. :

Okay, most misdemeanors can carry up a year in jail. However, depending on his history, he is most likely looking at probation.

Customer:

he has no history for anything like this. i wonder if he should hire a lawyer tho because the had medicines in hid car that were his grandmothers whome he takes care of. far as i know the were no additional charges related to the but they havent disclosed to him what evidence they plan to use

Michael J, Esq. :

Yes, he should most definitely hire an attorney.

Michael J, Esq. :

Attorneys can help with a defense to the charge or making a deal if one can be made. They can also mitigate the punishment time.

Customer:

ok thank you for the info

Michael J, Esq. :

No problem! I hope it works out for him.

Customer:
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense