Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense
18210975

My son was recently served a notice to appear for possession

My son was recently served a notice to appear for possession of marijuana in Seminole County, Florida. It looks like on the NTA that the officer recorded the amount of pot of being less than 2 oz. It also looks like they recorded Florida Statute 893.13(6b) but not sure because the writing is difficult to read. He was not arrested and told to go home. As his parents, we are concerned and feel that he needs legal counsel to attend court with him. There was other paraphernalia found at the residence that was not my sons but we are concerned that the court may try to connect him to it somehow. I am happy to try to answer any other questions that you may have in order to advise us as best as possible.
Thank you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Michael J, Esq. :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your criminal problem today.

Michael J, Esq. :

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. What can I answer for you? There are many questions that customers may have regarding the criminal process and I want to make sure I'm answering the right ones. Thanks!

Customer:

Hi Michael. Since this is my son's first NTA, what are the possible consequences for him? Should he appear in court without an attorney? Should he get in touch with the District Attorney's office to see if there is anything that the can do now to help his situation?

Customer:

How can this affect his future, such as employment?

Michael J, Esq. :

Thanks for your response.

Michael J, Esq. :

Is he only charged with the one charge?

Customer:

Yes only one.

Customer:

At least that is what it has on the NTA.

Michael J, Esq. :

Okay. I would definitely have him speak to an attorney. Obviously, criminal convictions can carry jail time, prevent him from getting future employment, and even affect other civil rights such as the right to own a firearm.

Michael J, Esq. :

I can also look up the statute to tell you the maximum punishment.

Customer:

Ok. We will speak to an attorney.

Michael J, Esq. :

Hold please while I look up the statute.

Customer:

Thank you for helping me understand the statute.

Michael J, Esq. :

The maximum is 1 year in jail, a $1000 fine, and up to 2 years driver's license suspension.

Michael J, Esq. :

Depending on his history, he is most likely looking at probation, but it's just really hard to say looking at this from far away. He will really need to speak with a local criminal defense attorney who can explain what they usually do in that jurisdiction.

Customer:

It is his first offense but I do agree with speaking to an attorney. Regarding the attorney, we reside in orange county and the court will be in seminole county. Is there a problem acquiring an attorney from Orange County to advise us and potentially attend court in Seminole county?

Michael J, Esq. :

That's not a problem at all.

Customer:

I am guessing that each attorney

Customer:

sorry!

Customer:

I am guessing that each attorney's office has their own established fees but I don't even know how that works when you need a lawyer.

Michael J, Esq. :

Yes, each do. There would be no way for me to ascertain that. I would guess in the $500-$2000 range.

Customer:

Ok. At least I can prepare myself for the costs. At this point I don't have any other questions, but others may come up when my husband and I talk. Am I able to ask you more questions at that time OR once we conclude today, I will have to pay another fee to ask additional questions?

Customer:

I thought of one more question. I don't even know how to begin looking for an attorney. Can you advise on how to go about that process?

Michael J, Esq. :

Thanks. If they are follow up questions, you can come back to this chat after you have rated me and I'll answer them. If they are "different' questions, JustAnswer would prefer that you ask a new question.

Michael J, Esq. :

I would start by contacting the Florida bar association for a criminal defense attorney referral in that area.

Michael J, Esq. :

Other than that, contacting the Court there for a recommendation for a criminal attorney may be an option. Other than that, word of mouth is the best way to find someone you trust.

Customer:

When you say 'new question', are you referring to questions about another situation different from the one we are talking about now? Just want to be sure I am clear.

Michael J, Esq. :

Yes, a "new question" would be something unrelated to the present question.

Customer:

Thanks!

Michael J, Esq. :

No problem!

Michael J, Esq. :

I'll schedule a follow up to see how you're doing in about 3 weeks

Michael J, Esq. :

If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

Michael

Customer:

Thank you and I do appreciate your guidance and time.

Customer:

I will look for your notice in 3 weeks.

Michael J, Esq. :

My pleasure. Talk to you soon.

Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense