How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 101755
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am on probation and would like to use software to make my

This answer was rated:

I am on probation and would like to use software to make my monthly probation report into a digital document, can I use an electronic signature to sign the report and will that work for the probation agency? I am located in California.
Hello, my name is Ely. I am here to help you. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a reply. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not to tell you what you necessarily wish to hear.

Generally speaking, yes. As long as it is you who signed/put down the signature, then it should be okay. Electronic signatures are becoming the norm and Courts generally accept them as is. The PO is likely to accept this signature because after all, you are not denying that this was you who signed it.

Do check your court rules and/or with the PO before doing this, but from what I have seen, this is generally not an issue with the PO.

IMPORTANT INFO: I hope this finds you well. Please use REPLY TO EXPERT to keep talking, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your response. I have called and ask the probation office and they said it was fine but I wanted to check. Is there a specific type of lawyer I can look into to gain "legal advice".


You are quite welcome. You are speaking with an attorney now (although this is general information and not legal advice). If you seek a personal consultation, you need to speak with a "criminal attorney," and you can find one here:

...the attorneys are vetted and qualified and the service is free. Then you can cross-reference the name(s) on for client reviews, Bar history, and metrics.

Doing this, you should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.

Good luck, and please don't forget to rate my answer in one of top three faces – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you.
Ely and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you