JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

I keyed my ex boyfriends car and there were people around

Customer Question

I keyed my ex boyfriends car and there were people about 50 feet away in the dark that he could have had as witness although there is no real way i think they could have seen me do it, all they could have seen was me lean in his window him grab me us scuffle to get him off of me and me walk around the side and to the other side where my car was, he then took a picture of me leaving, he keeps asking if i will pay for damages and if not he will file a report..now what
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of your experience. Please clarify: what is the outcome that you are seeking? What information do you seek from JustAnswer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do i stay out if trouble because i am denying it and he is texting me still 24 hours later saying r you paying for the scratches. I keep saying what r u talking abOut. I dont wann go to jail or get busted.
There is a saying, and I don't mean to be cute or flip, but the saying is SOOOOO TRUE: the fish only got caught because he opened his mouth.

And the same is true with you. Keep quiet.

If he's an ex-, you do not need to reply to his texts or anything. Just keep quiet. That's all you have to do.

Remember the fish. Nothing can be done unless you admit to it. Keep your mouth closed.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Reply tab.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with “excellent service” so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY tab. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thanks,
~~ J.B.