Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
18539850

How can I find out if I was wanted or convicted of a drug charge

Customer Question

How can I find out if I was wanted or convicted of a drug charge in the state of California.
I appeared in the L.A. Court, and was released by the judge on a promise to appear when the court was to proceed with charges. I never heard back from the court, and was allowed to leave Canada a few days later. My passport was returned to me and I was escorted to the airport to leave the U.S.A.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

You might begin the process by contacting the clerk of the court in the county in which the offense occurred. With your name, date of birth and the date of the offense, the clerk could look up your information and locate any cases. This would include whether you have any convictions and, likely, whether there are any active warrants for your arrest.

.

While the clerk can certainly inform you of any convictions, they may not be able to let you know about warrants. If not, then you can contact the sheriff's office. As the sheriff is responsible for serving warrants, they can certainly let you know whether they have anything under your name.

.

You did not mention which county in California this occurred. However, a quick Google search can locate both the clerk of court and the sheriff. For example, you might search "alameda county clerk of court" or "alameda county sheriffs office".

.

Please let me know if anything requires clarification.

.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on a positive rating for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to provide a positive rating. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

.

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.