Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  16 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

What does hold for us marshal mean, and how will they hold

what does hold for us marshal mean, and how long will they hold you?

Thank you for using JA. The Marshals Service assumes custody for all prisoners charged with a federal offense, no matter which agency made the arrest. If a person has a holder against them, then that means that the person has been charged with some type of federal offense and that the law enforcement agency that currently has custody of the person has to hold them until the Marshalls come to get them.
.
There is no set time that someone can be held for the Marshalls but they must be picked up within a "reasonable time", typically 30 days. If they aren't picked up by then, they can file a motion to be released under a "habeus corpus" motion. A writ of habeas corpus directs a person to produce the prisoner and justify the prisoner's detention. If the prisoner argues successfully that the incarceration is in violation of a constitutional right, the court may order the prisoner's release.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

If you need further help just reply to me via the “CONTINUE CONVERSATION” or “REPLY” button with the questions you have as I receive no compensation for my efforts for the lowest two ratings.

.

Please do not rate 2 stars/faces "Helped a little" or 1 star/face "I expected more". This is considered a negative rating against me.

.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.
Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes. But rest assured, I will get back to you.

.

Please be aware that I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, please do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how do you find out what theyve been charged with?
If the person is currently being held in jail, then contacting the jail would be the best option to find out what charges someone currently has pending.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

.

.