RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

RobertJDFL, As sex roles become more homogeneous, do you

RobertJDFL,
As sex roles become more homogeneous, do you believe female delinquency will become identical to male delinqency in rate and type? Why or why not?

Are lower-class girls more strictly supervised than upper- or middle-class girls? Why or why not?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question today. I appreciate your patience while I responded to you. Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", PLEASE STOP and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

No, I don't think you will, because historically, the crimes men and women commit are largely different. Men as a whole commit much more violent crimes -a lot more murder, a lot more assaults, bank robbery, sex crimes, etc.

The female population tends to be incarcerated for crimes often involving things like drug use/abuse, DUIs, and white collar crimes -fraud/embezelment. It's not that you don't see females in prison for bank robbery, murders, assaults, and even rape and sexual assaults, you do, but in far lower numbers. I don't see the female criminal element making a "push" to be equal to their male counterparts in terms of types of criminal activity.

I think when it comes to supervision, it's impossible to make a blanket statement that one group is more strictly supervised than the other. It all comes down to parenting. On the one hand, you may have a lower-class girl who lives in a single parent home whose parent is gone working three jobs, so the child involves themself in trouble. And on the other hand, you might have a lower class child whose parents are strict with them in an effort to make sure they succeed and become something better than what they, her parents, are.

You could have an upper/middle class girl whose parents are also never around who push the child off on a nanny, for example, causing the child to rebel or act out as a means of getting attention -similar to what the lower class girl is doing, even though they come from different environment. And conversely, you can have an upper/middle class girl who is afforded every opportunity whose parents are very active in her life who are strict and set rules and boundaries and do everything they can for that child to succeed.

It's not what class you are - it's upbringing.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience: Experienced in multiple areas of the law.