Meigs
Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have multiple years experience prosecuting and defending clients.
22589080

I received a fare evasion ticket in Hoboken, NJ from NJ PATH

I received a fare evasion ticket in Hoboken, NJ from NJ PATH police. The ticket requires a court appearance, however I live out of state and cannot make a court appearance during the week. If I send a letter what should it include? Also, if I do plead guilty and pay the fine will the offense show up on background checks or my permanent record?

meigs004 :

Hello, how are you today?

meigs004 :

So you received a fare evasion ticket, and you do not live in the state of NJ therefore, you wish to simply not attend the court appearance and pay the fine associated with that ticket, and not appear?

Customer:

Not necessarily. I wanted to know if it appears on my criminal record as a criminal offense?

meigs004 :

Ok.

Customer:

If not then I'll pay the fine, but if so then I would like to hire an attorney

meigs004 :

It is considered a violation under NJ law, so therefore, it is a municipal code violation and not a crime (misdemeanor and/or felony). However, if you do not show at the hearing, the court can seek to revoke your license. If you do draft a letter, you should simply state where you live, and pay prior to sending the letter. Make a copy of the check that you paid the fine with,and send the copy with the letter stating your circumstances that you do not live in their jurisdiction and that you would like to simply pay the fine.

Customer:

The ticket requires a court appearance, so I do not know the amount of the fine. I can't pay the fine prior to sending the letter.

meigs004 :

Ok, well the max fine on that charge is $100.

meigs004 :

Therefore, I would simply pay the fine, and send the letter stating that you are unable to attend the court appearance, because you do not live in the jurisdiction.

meigs004 :

So the answer to your question is that it is a violation, not a crime, and will not show in your criminal history.

Customer:

And you're sure it doesn't appear on background checks?

meigs004 :

Yes, as violations are not crimes.

meigs004 :

Do you have any prior fare evasion tickets in NJ?

Customer:

no

meigs004 :

Ok, then it will not.

meigs004 :

Do you have any other questions?

meigs004 :

If not PLEASE click the smiley face :) and submit, or if you have follow up questions feel free to ask them!

meigs004 :

Do you have other questions today?