How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Samuel II Your Own Question

Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 25059
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I gave police verbal statemts but wish I hadnt and now

Customer Question

If I gave police verbal statemts but wish I hadn't and now they want it in writing can I refuse or is the verbal enough to prosecute and can they search your home with no warrant. I might add this was a domestic violence that added up to my brother locking himself in house threatening suicide and yelling threats at officers and swat team he was arrested but no Miranda rights
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 years ago.

You do not have to give them any more information in writing or otherwise, without first having an attorney present with you. And even then based on your attorney's advice maybe not even at that time.

If they have enough information based on what they already know they can make an arrest but will need to get an arrest warrant and need to have the probable cause to do that. Only after an arrest is Miranda required, if they are going to use any information obtained after the arrest as evidence.

So your brother's actions were enough to cause an arrest and there would be enough evidence for some charges. THerefore, they do not have to give him Miranda. But if they try to use any information after the arrest without Miranda as evidence, then it may be suppressed.

At this time, you do not have to give any more information.

Please note if you have other questions use the REPLY to EXPERT to Continue the Conversation . Otherwise, please give a positive rating. This will NOT close your question and it will be available for future follow up

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Samuel I have not said anymore to police but went to visit my brother in psyche ward . And he became ignorant and had a worker make me leave. I had brought him clothes . He threw a fit and said I drought all the wrong stuff which I didn't. Nurse told us she has overheard him yell at us several times over the ph. And told us to quit listening to his sh*t, and she thinks there is no help for him and he is just a munipulative drug addict! He is violent and if let out of this facility he will harm someone but they are saying they are going to release him. For one can they do this as he has been diagnosed as ADHD bipolar and schitzophrenic
Iwe don't have much money and I am hoping I can find a lawyer pro bono and he is still claiming he has done nothing wrong and that no charges and no Miranda rights were read. He is dangerous and will hurt someone and we were told he has to want to get treatment we can't do it and he claims he is fine and coming home. We are afraid. For everyone as they may be harmed. Do I need a criminal atty and mental illness atty to represent him and mayb they can get a stay order?.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 years ago.

If no charges were filed, then they can release him if they find he is not a threat to himself and others. This is after a 72 hour observation. You can talk to the doctors in confidence and explain the situation and request that they do something to have him Court Ordered to stay in the facility.

Otherwise, Yes, he can be released.

Please note that if you need more information, you can use the Reply to Expert to Continue the Conversation. Otherwise, I would appreciate positive ratings so that I get credit for my time and information. This will NOT close your question. It will remain active for future follow ups.

If you cannot see where to Rate me, please let me know so I can report it to the administrators of the site.

Thank you.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely

    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Nate's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
  • RobertJDFL's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: