JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

If somebody throws something at you, meaning to hurt you with

If somebody throws something at you, meaning to hurt you with it, are you allowed to keep the object after it lands on your head then settles on your newspaper in your lap that you were quietly reading at the time before it all happened?
Welcome and thank you for your question!

Please clarify: what was the object, who did it belong to, and why was it thrown?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
a disposable cigarette lighter being thrown at me by an unemployed youth in a cafe. All I know is it hit me. I do not really know for sure why it was thrown.
Under the circumstances, you've described, yes, you can keep the thrown object. For all practical purposes, it is evidence of a possible crime (assault) and can be surrendered to law enforcement or retained as evidence for any future civil lawsuit.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Continue Conversation link.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with a four or a five so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

~~ J.B.