JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

To whom it may concern: I was placed in deferred prosecution. If I completed a successfu

Customer Question

To whom it may concern:
I was placed in deferred prosecution. If I completed a successfully complete my 6months session, my pending misdeamonor charge for assult on a female will be dismissed. I interviewed for a job recently and they indicated that the postion involve some international travel. Therefore my question is can I still travel internationally?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

In order to leave the state, you have to have permission of the court. So, talk with your probation officer or court contact and ask for permission to travel for work. There really should be no problem in them granting your request.

To answer your question: you will be able to travel internationally with permission of the court. At this juncture, you do not have any criminal conviction.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Continue Conversation link.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with a four or a five so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the response. If I am understanding your reply, I can travel internationally for work if I am granted written permission from the court and/or my probation officer. Is this mainly because I don't have a conviction as the charges are pending due to deferred prosecution? Legally, will I have any trouble travelling to China or any other country with pending charges?
Each country is different with respect to their entry requirements. You will have to check each one that you may travel to.

See, for example, the inadmissibility criteria of Canada: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/index.asp

If you have difficulty locating the criteria for a particular country, simply contact that country's embassy located in the U.S. and they will be able to assist you.

What are your options now?

IF you feel the need to click either

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. From your comments, if I have permission from the court and/or my probation officer than travel outside of US is permissible. However I would have to verify with the respective country that I will be entering (ex. Sweden or China) to see if I would be allowed into their country and the best way of verifying this would be contacting the respective embassy.
Yes, that is 100% correct.

What are your options now?

IF you feel the need to click either

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
Hi there. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going.

Did I answer all of your questions or do you seek additional information?

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to give you excellent service!"

Otherwise, please be sure to provide a rating for the information I provided so that I receive credit for assisting you.

IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE A RATING, or if your rating is negative, then I will not be compensated.

If you experience any problems in providing a positive rating, please reply and let me know.

Thank you!

~~ JB
I noticed you viewed my answer and no rating was received. Did you attempt to rate me?

If so, please let me know which rating you'd like to leave, or reply back for additional assistance. Thank you.