Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I have meet someone online and decided to do a criminal background

Customer Question

I have meet someone online and decided to do a criminal background check before getting to serious. When checking he has several ranging from speeding to lacerny to breaking and entering. They all say dismissal without leave by da. I do not have a criminal record and am pretty sure this is a red flag to drop the guy. Am I correct in this thinking?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.
Hi Jacustomer,

If they were dismissed without leave by the DA, that means the charges against him were all dropped and the DA has no leave (permission) to file them ever again. So technically, if this is all that's there, he has no criminal record.

But if it makes you feel uncomfortable I would trust your instincts and drop him. Some people are never just at the wrong place at the wrong time. Others are always at the wrong place at the wrong time. That may mean he has a lot of bad luck, but it also may mean he may just be fortunate that nothing's caught up with him yet. There's no way you or I could know.

I'm a defense lawyer and I would be the last person in the world to hold someone criminally accountable when even the state dropped the charges against him. But I do think that trust is an essential part of any relationship. And if this unsettles you, he's the wrong guy for you.