JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

Can I appeal a conviction that I plead no contest to ?

Customer Question

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

Please clarify: why do you want to appeal?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Because I am not guilty..I took the plea because my public "defender"

said I could have it expunged but know I am told differently

Thank you. How long ago did you plead no contest?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I plead no contest in june of 2011
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi JB...I was released after 93 days in june 2011
Thank you. There is no legal basis to appeal your plea. The court did not make any legal errors in accepting your no contest plea.

You can, however, file a motion in the trial court to WITHDRAW your no contest plea. If the judge grants your motion, the conviction is set aside and the case starts all over.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Continue Conversation link.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with a four or a five so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I wish to continue& elaborate...During my crusafiction I filed 2 marsden motions to dismiss my counsel and was denied by the judge.
Thank you. Those additional facts, however, are not legally relevant to your request to withdraw your plea of no contest.

What are your options now?

IF you feel the need to click either

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
Hi there. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going.

Did I answer all of your questions or do you seek additional information?

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to give you excellent service!"

Otherwise, please be sure to provide a rating for the information I provided so that I receive credit for assisting you.

IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE A RATING, or if your rating is negative, then I will not be compensated.

If you experience any problems in providing a positive rating, please reply and let me know.

Thank you!

~~ JB
I noticed you viewed my answer and no rating was received. Did you attempt to rate me?

If so, please let me know which rating you'd like to leave, or reply back for additional assistance. Thank you.