Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

Hello I have a nephew on my wifes side. that was sentenced

Customer Question

I have a nephew on my wife's side. that was sentenced to 7+ years on charges of armed robbery. He goes to parole hearing in Dec. of 2012. We just got back from a visit from north Tx. , he feels that something is going to hinder his release. My question is how do my wife and I insure that everything is being done to help him get released?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Hi - my name is Kirk and I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney here to assist you.

Without knowing exactly what he believes with throw a hitch into his parole hearing, it may be hard to help him. Thus, I would recommend that you ask him what he's concerned about and then you can focus some attention to that specific issue.

However, parole is basically determined by statutory guidelines, which can be viewed here:

The above parole guidelines just went into effect in February of this year. As you'll read, the parole process consists of two major components that interact to provide a single score. The first is a Risk Assessment Instrument that weighs both static and dynamic factors associated with the offender's record. The other component is Offense Severity class.

I really think the best thing you can do to help is go over the guidelines with him to see what range he thinks he'll score in. That will give him some expectations of where this may end up - for good or for bad.

Also, here's a good FAQ link:

The more obvious response is to help him hire a private criminal defense attorney. I understand this is expensive, but an attorney can make a difference when trying to present a case for parole to the parole board. Thus, financial support to hire an attorney could certainly be a helpful option.