JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

I live in Ohio. The person lived in Kentucky. Ther person

I live in Ohio.
The person lived in Kentucky.
Ther person was arrested for shoplifting in KY and put in jail.
The person got out of jail on bond.
The person left KY and went to Florida so did not appear on the assigned court date.
This person says that s/he will never return to KY.
Is this person now considered to be a felon?
Is it legal for me to pay for this person's dental expenses?
Please advise.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

When a person absconds from the criminal justice system, they are not automatically a felon. So, the answer to your question is "no" the person is not considered to be a felon.

Yes, it is legal for you to pay for that person's dental expenses. No law prohibits it.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Continue Conversation link.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with a four or a five so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. I now understand that this peson is not a felon but is there a legal term or description for someone who behaves in this way?

Will KY or is KY trying to find her?

Yes, the person is consider to be a fugitive from justice and/or a bail jumper or a bail absconder.

Most likely, Kentucky is not looking for her at all. They simply do not have the time, manpower, or resources to actively search for each person that misses court.

What are your options now?

IF you feel the need to click either

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate your help.
You are very welcome. Best wishes!

What are your options now?

IF you feel the need to click either

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
Hi there. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going.

Did I answer all of your questions or do you seek additional information?

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to give you excellent service!"

Otherwise, please be sure to provide a rating for the information I provided so that I receive credit for assisting you.

IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE A RATING, or if your rating is negative, then I will not be compensated.

If you experience any problems in providing a positive rating, please reply and let me know.

Thank you!

~~ JB
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If, in the future, this person applies for a job in Florida and the prospective employer does a background check, will the arrest for shoplifting, the jail time served until released on bond, and the fact that this person did not appear in court on the designated date be revealed?

If so, then, the prospective employer may contact the state of KY about this person's whereablouts. Is this correct?

Thank you for the follow-up. Yes, all of that information is public information and can be available/disclosed on a background check report.