LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience

i am wanting to go into to military but i was told by a recruiter

Customer Question

i am wanting to go into to military but i was told by a recruiter that i can't join while on probation how would i go about asking for early release from probation in another state??
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of the situation.

Were you sentenced in GA?
Were there any conditions of probation, such as restitution or take a course of some sort or community service?
Where are you, in time, as regards your probation?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i was sentenced in ga and i have fines to pay and a family intervention program to complete and 40 hours of community service. i live in indiana right now
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.

here is how early release from probation works in GA. In order to qualify for early release, any conditions of probation---such as the fines, community service and the family intervention class MUST first be completed before you can qualify.

After you have done everything required of your probation, with the exception of the time of probation, you may file a Motion with the court in the county where you were sentenced, and seek to have the probation terminated so that you may enter into the military.

Essentially, when the court is satisfied that termination would be in the best interest of justice and the welfare of society, the court may discharge you from the sentence.

Fortunately, early termination of probation to enter the military is typically seen as a good reason for the court to act. Just be sure to get your other requirements out of the way first as a showing of good faith to the court.

You may reply back to me using the Reply to Expert link if you have additional questions; and if you do, I ask that you please keep in mind that I do not know what you may already know or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

Kindly take a moment to rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided. Please understand that I have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation, and I trust you agree that it would be unfair for me to be punished by a (negative rating) ----the first 2 stars/faces----for having been honest with you about the law.

I wish you the best in 2012,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer to you was helpful to your understanding of the law, as regards your question.

Is there anything else that I can assist you with? If not, would you please now rate my service to you highly. Thanks in advance!