Stevexo
Stevexo, Criminal Attorney
Experience:  Thirty years Criminal Defense

Georgia law 17-10-11 states that a person should receive credit

Georgia law 17-10-11 states that a person should receive credit for time served. My husband was sentenced to 6 months confinement suspended upon his release to the detention center. He waited a month before going to court and being sentenced. That sentence is 120 days. Shouldn't he receive credit while he waits? Or at least the month he waited before court?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Stevexo replied 2 years ago.
Steven T Greene Esq. Qualified as an expert in Criminal Law,30 years of Criminal Defense trial work. How long was he in JAIL prior to the sentence. Thanks, Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He was in jail 1 month prior to his sentence. here is the full story, he was arrested five years ago for felony drug charge. He did 120 days in a detention center, and was allowed to go into a program called drug court. He's done great, awesome job no drugs 5 years! He got a DUI recently however, and they kicked him out of the program, even though he has had no drug convictions he had to be resentenced for the original charge from 5 years ago. he waited a month for his resentencing.
Expert:  Stevexo replied 2 years ago.
OK , that is what I needed. Under the time served statute he is entitled to all credit he has served and it is mandatory. He is entitled to the one month prior to his sentence and also the 120 days where he was detained prior to drug court. So he should get 150 days credit for time served, and that is mandatory for him to get! Sincerely, Steve
Stevexo, Criminal Attorney
Experience: Thirty years Criminal Defense
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Steve, I'll contact his lawyer, I explained that he had served that time but he didnt ask for time served credit for some reason. If he doesnt fight for it, I'll find someone else who will.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
another question i had was with a sentence that states 6 months confinement suspended upon release to the detention center, if the 6 months runs out and the detention center has not picked him up. what happens?
Expert:  Stevexo replied 2 years ago.
He should be immediately released! The sentence is a 6 month sentence suspended upon release to the detention center. When the amount of time he does equals 6 months with credit for time served then he must be released. Sincerely, Steve
Stevexo, Criminal Attorney